Well, my last post wished you all a Merry Christmas so to be sure I covered all the holidays, I am posting this in advance of Valentine's Day but send my sincerest wishes for a healthy, happy, and prosperous New Year.
This coming week my class will be making this cute octagonal box for a special friend for Valentine's Day. This box "purse" is made from the Stampin' Up Window Box Thinlits (142762). Instead of making it a box, I turned it on it's side and added some handles to make it a purse. Added some additional Valentine hearts and some ribbon and you have a really cute box to fill with treats or a special gift. Here's how to make it...
1. Cut two patterns of the purse from the Window Box Thinlits (142762)
2. The top piece is the front and sides of the purse and the bottom piece will be sides and back of the purse. Cut out a heart shape from the purse front using the framelits "Be Mine Stitched Framelit Dies" (148527). Add a piece of vellum paper to line the heart shape and glue to inside of the box lid.
3. Fold each tab on the fold line and crease with a bone folder. Add sticky strip glue to each of the tabs colored in blue. Do not add glue to the tabs around the purse front as you will be unable to insert treats or open the box. Punch two small holes on the sides of the box to accommodate the the box. See picture below..
4. Attach the two pieces together at each tab to form the octagonal shape..the first tab should be the back of the purse to the bottom of the purse…see above. As you glue the tabs together you will see the purse form take shape.
After assembling the box, attach the handle (1/2” x 8 “) with brads after punching holes.
5. Punch out shapes to serve as the closures for the box. I chose two hearts on a small strip of ½” paper. Attach one end with glue to the front of the box and the other to the top of the box with a Velcro closure.
6. Decorate the exterior of the box to fit any occasion. Add ribbon and tags as you desire.